This is a joint project between Oxford City Council, Hertsmere Borough Council, Cheltenham Borough Council, Doncaster Council, Preston City Council, North East Derbyshire District Council, Bolsover District Council, Calderdale Council, Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council, Bromsgrove District Council, Redditch Borough Council, Surrey County Council, Adur and Worthing Councils
There is a drive amongst local authorities to embrace the potential opportunities provided by AI and chatbots as a means to improve service to their customers, solve complex issues in service delivery and release efficiencies through reduced staff resource requirements.
However, there are problems for local authorities looking to adopt these solutions;
- There is no shared understanding of the technology and its advantages/disadvantages as a solution to key issues. For example, what type of application is it best suited to in order to ensure the best return on investment
- There are a variety of products and platforms that already exist on the market, but no objective evaluation of each to identify the most appropriate to use.
- There is a risk of duplicating effort, wasting time and resource in the discovery phase to arrive at the same conclusions that others have already reached
- Without a sound evidence base, there is a risk of inappropriate chatbot/AI projects being pursued that have poor prospects of meeting their objectives, wasting further time and resource
This discovery project aims to resolve these problems by delivering;
- a methodology for evaluating the suitability or otherwise of a particular application for developing into a chatbot or AI product
- a research base to assist local authorities developing their individual business cases to save time and resource rather than duplicating research
- a summary of the potential technology solutions that are available with their individual advantages and disadvantages of each, and their applicability to different circumstances
- a set of case studies drawn from participating councils in how the framework can be applied
In pursuing this it will also;
- explore the feasibility of adopting or developing a common, open source platform for local government to use to develop chatbot/AI solutions
- for the participating councils, deliver a set of recommendations on how to proceed with their use cases to alpha stage
- Enable (an) alpha project(s) to take over from the discovery phase for the case studies, either funded collectively by participating authorities or through the MCHLG Local Digital Fund.